Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ice Cream Cones {homemade}


So the hubby recently bought me this ice cream maker and boy was I elated. I must say though that I have not indulged in experimenting with different recipes as I had imagined before my purchase. Nevertheless I have made several batches of vanilla and banana ice cream as well as some fantastic raspberry sorbet. So when you have homemade ice cream, the airy ice cream cones that you can purchase from the market just do not do your frozen treat justice! The answer was clear, I NEEDED to make my own cones, so off to google I went and after many clicks, I decided to go with this recipe via Joy of Baking.



I pretty much followed the directions, however the batter, which is very much like making a crepe cooks very fast(trust me I learned after several no goes). So, I simply poured the batter in the skillet as suggested and let it cook on low heat for just a few seconds and then I placed it in a 350 degree oven for a few seconds. Then I took the skillet out and flipped the crepe/cone and placed the skillet back on the stove top(which should still be on low heat)to let the other side brown.

I removed the skillet from the heat and molded the crepe into a cone shape. be sure you pinch the bottom of your cone so that it sticks together or else your ice cream will drip through. This definitely takes skill to master and after making these I think that I could appreciate an ice cream cone maker. Embarrassed to say, I actually tried wrapping the crepe around a paper cone...needless to say it stuck to the paper as it was cooling and ended up in the trash. So just taking your time and shaping your cone, pinching at the bottom turns out great. Once cooled they are ready to be filled your favorite ice cream, sorbet, yogurt, or gelatto!

They taste spectacular..nothing like the pre-packaged cones you get out of your local market. I definitely suggest you try making your own ice cream cones at least once in your life!

Note: make sure your pan is non stick or that it is generously coated with a non stick spray. Cooking on low will prevent burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment