Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haitian Tea Cake {inspired by haiti}



The news and images that have been circulating around the web and on television has painted such a sad picture for the victims oh Haiti's shattering 7.0 earthquake. It has left me with many emotions of "I wish I could show my love"...nevertheless..I came up with the idea to prepare a Sunday dinner in honor of Haiti and for dessert I was inspired to fix a Haitian Cake, which is enhanced with milk and cinnamon sticks.

The aroma of the warm milk and cinnamon alone made me think of homemade chai, so I decided to add a little bit more spices to the mix: cloves, cardamom, ginger, etc. A warm cup of chai is a match made in heaven for this cake, hence the name that I have given it: "Haitian Tea Cake". I hope you all try this recipe and let me know what you think, Thanks to Haiti for such a wonderful sweet inspiration during such a sour time, and feel free to add more spice if you like, just be sure to balance out the brown sugar in the milk if you do! Enjoy!



Haitian Tea Cake
1 1/4 C. Milk
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1 Bay Leaf
Dash of Nutmeg
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 tsp. Rum Extract
3 Whole Cloves
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1 T. Light Brown Sugar
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
3 C. Sugar
1/3 C. Sour Cream
5 Eggs
3 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt

Directions: Butter and flour your cake pan and set aside. In a small saucepan, slowly simmer on low your: milk, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. cardamom, ginger, bay leaf, nutmeg extracts, cloves, and brown sugar for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and discard your bay leaf, cloves, and cinnamon sticks. Pour your spiced milk into a cup, preferably something with a spout to make pouring easier/less messy(I used my glass measuring cup.)

Now sift together your: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. cardamom in a large bowl and set aside. Now cream your sugar and butter until fluffy. Add your eggs one at a time. Now add your flour and milk, alternating between the two, ending with flour. Mix together and then mix in your sour cream.

Pour your batter into your greased cake pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 to 55 minutes OR until firm in the center and golden brown. Let cool. Serve warm with a cup of chai tea or vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment